More and more people are having trouble sleeping these days. I’m sure the reasons for each person are different but it is becoming a very prevalent thing. I’m one of those people. I just recently read about a few things that are helpful for people with sleeping issues to try. Anytime I hear anything that could help with sleep issues “I’m all ears”.
Not being able to sleep when it’s time to sleep can be torture. I usually get up and try to read or listen to music or a story or watch a You Tube video. But, after a while, that gets pretty old. Anyway, I was happy to read the article and get to try some things that hopefully will bring relief.
Here Is A List Of Some Helpful Foods
1. Sweet Potatoes – sweet potatoes are a good source of magnesium, which is the relaxation and anti- stress mineral. Sweet potatoes are great baked, mashed, put in soups and stews, etc.
2. Bananas – bananas can have a soothing effect. They have tryptophan which gets converted to serotonin and improves mood. Bananas are great by themselves and in so many things. I really like them in smoothies.
3. Milk – milk contains tryptophan, which is an amino acid that helps induce sleep. I like to heat mine up a little and it really seems to help. There is something to the ” warm milk” thing and sleep. Dairy that contains both tryptophan and calcium are some of the best sleep-inducing foods.
4. Whole grain cereal – cereal like Kashi and Shredded Wheat are complex carbohydrates, as are whole grains like quinoa and brown rice. Complex carbs, especially when combined with a small amount of protein, contain just enough tryptophan to relax the brain. Whole grain cereal and milk is a great combination for inducing sleep because the calcium helps the brain to use tryptophan to manufacture melatonin.
5. Cherries – especially tart cherries, are some of the only fruit that contains melatonin which comes from the amino acid tryptophan that helps induce sleep. Have a few of those before bed or drink some tart cherry juice to help you sleep better.
Hopefully, these suggestions will help you to relax and get some well needed rest.