More and more people are having trouble sleeping these days. I’m sure the reasons for each person are different but it is becoming a very prevalent thing. I’m one of those people. I just recently read about a few things that are helpful for people with sleeping issues to try. Anytime I hear anything that could help with sleep issues “I’m all ears”.
Not being able to sleep when it’s time to sleep can be torture. I usually get up and try to read or listen to music or a story or watch a You Tube video. But, after a while, that gets pretty old. Anyway, I was happy to read the article and get to try some things that hopefully will bring relief.
Here Is A List Of Some Helpful Foods
1. Sweet Potatoes – sweet potatoes are a good source of magnesium, which is the relaxation and anti- stress mineral. Sweet potatoes are great baked, mashed, put in soups and stews, etc.
2. Bananas – bananas can have a soothing effect. They have tryptophan which gets converted to serotonin and improves mood. Bananas are great by themselves and in so many things. I really like them in smoothies.
3. Milk – milk contains tryptophan, which is an amino acid that helps induce sleep. I like to heat mine up a little and it really seems to help. There is something to the ” warm milk” thing and sleep. Dairy that contains both tryptophan and calcium are some of the best sleep-inducing foods.
4. Whole grain cereal – cereal like Kashi and Shredded Wheat are complex carbohydrates, as are whole grains like quinoa and brown rice. Complex carbs, especially when combined with a small amount of protein, contain just enough tryptophan to relax the brain. Whole grain cereal and milk is a great combination for inducing sleep because the calcium helps the brain to use tryptophan to manufacture melatonin.
5. Cherries – especially tart cherries, are some of the only fruit that contains melatonin which comes from the amino acid tryptophan that helps induce sleep. Have a few of those before bed or drink some tart cherry juice to help you sleep better.
Hopefully, these suggestions will help you to relax and get some well needed rest.
Discussion about this post